There is just something about a warm chocolate chip cookie that stops time and takes you to another place. For some of us it's a favorite sweet treat and maybe even gives us feelings of nostalgic childhood memories. For any of us that have ever tried to master a chocolate chip cookie recipe though, that may be a different story.
The most minute details such as baking down to the very minute or a specific ingredient can make all the difference. We think we've cracked the code on how to make the perfect cookie and ironically we've added a little "dash" of something extra special that has made ALL the difference. INSTANT COFFEE. Sound a little crazy? Hear us out on this one. We found that just a dash of instant coffee brought out the most amazing flavors in the cookie. We took all the time and effort for you and gave you the tips on what makes the best cookie. Give it a try!
- 3/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature (get the real stuff)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 TBSP Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Bandit Coffee - 8 second ride - instant coffee
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (get the good stuff)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a large bowl or a stand mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar and sugar with a paddle attachment until creamy, about 1 minute. Add in the egg and egg yolk, plus the vanilla and beat to combine. Add in the instant coffee, soda, cornstarch, salt and flour and beat until a soft dough forms. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Chill the mixture covered in the fridge for at LEAST 2 hours, up to 3 days long. Chilling is mandatory and prevents spreading the cookie dough.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Drop rounded Tablespoonfuls of dough onto the baking sheets about 2" apart.
- Bake for approx. 9-12 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time to ensure even cooking. I did 9 minutes on the dot and they were absolutely perfect. Cookies may appear slightly soft in the center - they will continue to cook as they cool, so don't stress. The most important thing is to not over-bake! Cool completely on the cookie sheets before serving.
- #1 use real butter
- #2 don't skimp on the chocolate chips. Splurge and get the good ones. You won't regret it.
- #3 use Bandit Coffee - its consistency is a powder form that makes it easy to mix and absorb into the cookie dough and does not overpower itself. Also, it's organic!